Monday, October 26, 2009

We Skyped with author Greg Tang!!!!





We did it!!! We Skyped with author Greg Tang. Many of the kids don't understand the magnitude of this, but, as I've told the children, Greg Tang is the Hannah Montana of math books. Mr. Tang is the author of several math books that I've used in my classroom for several years. We've now had the pleasure of speaking with him personally!

We asked Mr. Tang many questions. Although I am doing the typing, here are the words that your children had to say about our experience:

Edward---I was shocked that Mr. Tang wrote one of his books in only 8 days, even though he said he'd been thinking about that book for 2 years.

Reagan B---It was fun to Skype Mr. Tang because I never, ever met any other author.

Emmy---I learned that Greg Tang's favorite book he's written was Math-terpieces because he enjoyed combining a little art history with a little math.

Keaton---I learned that Mr. Tang wrote his first book when he was 40 years old.

Sebastian---I thought it was funny that he brings his laptop with him everywhere he goes. He even takes it with him to his kids' hockey games and writes while they're not on the ice.

Ethan---It was very fun because I've never Skyped with an author before.

Kimberly---I had never Skyped with anyone before, so I liked that part.

Makenzie L---It's going to be interesting when he sends us his math game. We hope it will make us even better at math.

Taylor---It was very exciting when we Skyped with Greg Tang because Mrs. Bruno says he's the Hannah Montana of math books.

Reagan P---I thought it was interesting that he told us he always begins with the rhyming part of each book, instead of the math part of the book.

Xavier---It was interesting that we Skyped because I've never talked with or seen a real author before.

Reece---I liked it when he said that he wasn't a very good writer when he was a kid. That makes me know that anyone can grow up to be an author.

Kylan---I loved it when we asked him the questions because we got to learn about him.

Makenzie W---My favorite book Greg Tang wrote is Grapes of Math.

Jordan---I learned that Greg Tang likes working with BIG numbers because most people aren't good at using big numbers. He wants to help them learn big numbers.


As you can tell, this was a very meaningful experience for your children. Mr. Tang gave us lots of tips and things to think about as we continue working on publishing our own math book. He even offered to look at some of our writing as we progress through the writing process.

We sure appreciate the time that Mr. Tang took out of his busy schedule to speak with us. We learned a great deal!!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience! How often do students get to confer with experts in the field?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaKenzie is STILL talking about skyping! She was fascinated by the whole thing! What a great experience for the children!

    ReplyDelete